Tuesday, June 02, 2009

4 Score And 7 days ago

Actually it was 4 days ago when Andrew and I went to Gettysburg! We had so much fun. It was really neat to see all of these famous civil war cites. Andrew remembers his history MUCH better than I do. So he made me "study" up to go on this trip. We Watched the movie Gettysburg, which was a great depiction of what happened. I didn't think they made the movie super emotional, except for some of the Chamberlain scenes. He is the man. Jeff Daniels played Col. Chamberlain, and did a great job. But every once in a while he would make certain faces and all I could picture was Harry from Dumb and Dumber. Anyway, it was definitely helpful to be a little more familiar with what happened. We also listened to these CD's that take you on an auto tour of most of the Gettysburg cites. The narrator tells stories about each place, so that was pretty cool.
On a side note, we also went to the movie Up. We LOVED it. It was a cute and creative movie. Also very UPlifing, it really was. One of those movies that makes you love your spouse even more and want to be a better person.
This is where the final battle took place, with Picket's Charge. On top of Andrew's shoulder is the memorial where Lew Armistead was killed.

There is a memorial for every regiment that fought. This goes out to MN. Gen. Meade needed someone to defend the peach orchard. The Minnesotan's stepped up to the plate and fought bravely. 82% of them in this regiment died defending this ground. Go MN!
This is where Col. Chamberlain had his legendary bayonet charge. He was told to hold the ground "at all costs".
Atop Little Round Top

9 comments:

Danielle and Brian said...

Hey Katie, I came across your blog from Miles' thought I would say hello. It was good to meet you last weekend. Look forward to getting to know you better! Looks like you guys had a great trip!

Emily said...

what fun. i stopped by there on a trip but there was so much to see it was overwhelming. I'll have to study like you said next time I go (who knows when that will be).

Aly said...

I have ALWAYS wanted to go. Being a history major and having lived out here for seven years, I feel a little guilty that I haven't done it yet. You have inspired me. I have to go this summer. And what a great idea to brush up on your history before you go!

Hksedwick said...

I think it is hilarious that Harry is in a serious movie (I know it isn't the only serious one he's in either), but I really don't know if I could take him seriously. You make me really want to go to Gettysburg. Also, the movied up is AWESOME!! I cried.

Jackie said...

Very cool! So glad you got to go.

Just one more reason to love PA. :)

Nate said...

I'm glad that you got to take an anniversary trip. Looks like it was a fun time. I didn't know that MN did so much in that battle. Way to go Minnesota!

The Miles Family said...

I'm so glad you guys got to go. What an awesome experience! Love the photos.

Amy D said...

I so remember going to Gettysburg one spring break while we were back there. What a cool place! And I totally cried in "Up." :)

ashley said...

So so cool that you get to go to all these incredible places!!!! I live vicariously through your blog, just FYI. :) and what a wise man that Andrew is to encourage the history review beforehand. i tell ya - you two are quite a pair. I always think of you on your anniversary and hope this year is absolutely wonderful!