Saturday, March 08, 2008

El Pastorero


Andrew's favorite food from his mission would hands down be "tacos al pastor". They are made from marinaded pork that cooks on a vertical rotisserie. They put a whole pineapple on top and the juices cook down into the meat. Then you top it with onions, cilantro, lime juice, and salsa. He had told me about how delicious they are. When Andrew and I visited his mission last year I had the chance to try them for myself. I was hooked after my first taco.
We searched many taco places in Utah and nobody had the famous tacos al pastor. We found out that they could not be made in the US because it required the use of an open flame. We were pretty much heartbroken. Once you have tasted something so savory and sweet, it's hard to know that you can never have it again, unless you go back to Mexico (not very likely in the next 10 years for us). Then my brother Jeff made the most glorious discovery. He found this new Mexican place in Provo called "El Pastorero" that serves authentic tacos al pastor. They patented a rotisserie thingy that radiates the heat instead of using an open flame. Andrew and I were giddy as little school girls to find this out. The tacos were delish and pretty authentic. We plan on frequenting this place as often as we can. If anyone would like to join us, let us know! Mmm, my mouth is watering just thinking of them.

7 comments:

Amy D said...

Hmmm...I'll have to take your word for that. They look "interesting" for sure :) Glad you found them though! Maybe we'll have to go to that restaurant sometime with you so we can acquire the taste for them too.

Nate said...

They did look delicious when we were there. It's too bad that I'm a half vegetarian and don't eat pork. Someday I'll be normal like you.

Andrea Hatch said...

Wow, those look delicious! We'll have to try those the next time we're in town. BTW, I can't wait until you guys get here and we can come and visit you (and vice versa)!

Grandma and Grandpa said...

I have to tell you that EVERY SINGLE time we go to a Mexican restaurant, the first thing Drew asks is, "do you have tacos al pastor?". We have found a couple...but none match his expectations! He will be super jealous! :)

Julie Knowlton said...

Mmmmmmmm....sounds delicious.

By the way, we went to Bombay House this last weekend. It was fantastic.

Anonymous said...

Hi Katie! I saw your blog on facebook & thought I'd stalk you. Hear hear about Mexican food in Utah, although some would argue about Los Hermanos. They "claim" to serve Mexican food there, but I disagree. But I'm glad you found something you like!!

todd & nicole said...

Hey I found your blog through Erin's blog. I can't believe they have tacos al pastor here in Provo. It is my absolute favorite Mexican food. We always find the best place to eat them in Mexico so from Tijuana to Mexico City to Acapulco my family knows where to get good tacos. So glad there is a place now. Hope everything is going well with you guys.

Todd and Nicole Cunningham