Monday, November 16, 2009

The Beauty of Running and M.O.M. projects

I now have my second half marathon under my belt. My parents came out to race with me in the Richmond Half Marathon. It was so fun to have them here and to run with my dad. I was really proud of my mom who ran her first race ever! She ran the 8K, and ran much faster than she had trained. I was hoping to beat 2 hours, but I was lucky enough to get some sweet blisters at mile 4, due to the awesomely wet weather we have been having. So my dad kept me going at a good pace. It really was so cool to run with him. I have decided I like this race and want to do more. Now I just have to conquer that 2 hour mark! Thank you McDonalds for sponsoring the race-makes perfect sense. They even had a coke stop right after the water stop. Who doesn't love to load up with bubbles while racing? They also had free coffee and hot chocolate for racers before the race. Thanks for helping us do our best.

Approaching the Finish!
We did it
The training group: Darci, Heather, Me (and thanks to Kim and Brityn for running with us) And yes, I did get hot chocolate AFTER racing.
Sorry, runners have gross feet. Case in point. My faithful blisters I got to run on for 9 miles!

While we were busy running, Andrew was off saving the world one tooth at a time. He got to participate in a M.O.M. project (Mission of Mercy). Basically dentists, and dental students give up a weekend to provide free dental work to people in smaller towns. They saw about 600 patients in one day. It was a very cool experience for Andrew. The people were so appreciative. Not only did Andrew have a great service opportunity, but he also got some great experience. He gave quite a few injections and even got to extract a tooth. It was a long day, but Andrew loved having this experience. I think it is so cool that Andrew can do something like this for others. We hope to be able to participate in many more MOM projects over the years.
(You can see Andrew in this photo if you look carefully! He is wearing green scrubs and is sitting in the middle right.)

12 comments:

Hksedwick said...

Oh your poor sad little feetsies. I hope they heal up really well.

Halfords said...

I wish running was my thing. I would love to do it but every time I do it KILLS my knees. Is that normal??

The Fox Family said...

i didn't get a chance to ask you how the race went..so it's good to hear. I think you are amazing! Good for you! Those blisters look AWFUL! ;(

The Miles Family said...

What awesome parents you have!How fun for you to do that with them. You are super woman in my eyes...I don't know how you do it! Your battle wounds look painful!

Josh was so glad Hutch was at the MOM project with him. One of these times they go we'll have to have a slumber party. :)

Jenna said...

katie you're a running machine! maybe next year you'll be doing the full marathon and getting the free junk food from mcdonalds they advertised!!

Ashlee & Christian said...

Way to go, that is incredible that you did that. You are amazing! How freakin' fun to run it with your parents, that is so cool.

Bree said...

i wish you guys lived in our neighborhood so i had someone to run with!!! :)

awesome!

Amy D said...

For some reason, I can't see your pictures (I'll have to check back in a little bit), but what a cool thing to race with your parents! Go, Uncle Warren and Aunt Mares!!! I'm proud of you all!

Jackie said...

You are a rock star! I'm way impressed you did the halfy.

Oh, and Andrew is a rock star too. I would be useless on a MOM project. :)

Drew and Tarah said...

Good job on your race!!! I think half marathons are the best races out there! You should come out to AZ next year and we can do one together. Sorry about your feet, what a bummer!!

Natalie said...

Katie, you're amazing. I hope we can run one together some time soon! I'll be looking for one, but in the mean time we need to figure out the whole Nike+ thing so we can get another challenge going.

Way to go!

Andrea Hatch said...

Are you kidding me?! Another half marathon?!?! You are totally my idol. And way to go on Andrew with the free dental service, that's so awesome.